Meditation is an amazing tool to calm down and also to increase your health.
To come in a good Meditation it is very important that you remember some Tips, that is to avoid you meditate on a “white Wall” as we see. Many People don’t know how to Meditate and when you do wrong you can also harm yourself. There are enough “spiritual” People around where you really think “Wohh, they does have really a tick”. They are just talking about Spirituality and come very stiff or get this special Habits where you just have the feeling they are out of this World.
But that is not the Goal. The goal with a successful Meditation have to be always that you are very grounded in this World, that you are fresh and useful for users. Not a Indian Guru how maybe looks quit cool, but is not useful to others.
Some very Basics:
First we think about the four basic Thoughts.
- We see the precious Gift to come in Contact with Teachings, who does lead us into a good Meditation.
Many beings don’t have the chance to come in contact with a good Teaching and even less use it.
- We realise the Impermanence of everything, only the clear unlimited space of mind is lasting and so the only security we can build on.
- We think about Cause and Effect, that we are self-responsible for everything what happens. Former Thoughts, Words and Actions, brought us to the World as we see it now and we always seed the Seeds for our Future.
- Finally we understand why we Meditate, to clear our Mind from disturbing Thoughts, we can not benefit others as long we are self confused.
As we understood, that everything what we think is really appears in our Mind. When we like to change something we have to think about something that is outside of us, so we start thinking on something that gives us a target where we can learn from and leads us to Liberation, Enlightenment is even something more we will talk later about.
For the first you can visualize like that:
- We sit on a beautiful meadow, right from us our mother, left from us our father, as good we remember us on them, we are surrounded by all our Friends, looking in the same direction. In front of is a small sea and in the middle of it a island with a beautiful golden tree on it. Under the tree sits a human being that presents our Teacher and all of the finest qualities you can imagine. This being is looking on you, recognize you and wish you all the best. (if you prefer you can call that enlightened being a Buddha. If you can not visualize a good Picture, you also can think about your teacher or see this being in your shape)
- Here it is important you see this Being not just as a normal Human. As the highest Teachers always say: If you think your Teacher is a Buddha, you will get the blessing of a Buddha, if you think he is a normal Human, you will get the blessing of a normal Human.
- Imagine the finest Qualities with your Teacher. Generosity, Patience, Equanimity, perfect Speech …
- Remember as long you think on that Qualities you start identifying with it. There is another nice Teaching that talks about fast practice. “You take the Mask of Buddha as long till you can not remove it again. So you are, what you thought about before.
- We are sitting relaxed and comfortable
- Our right leg in front of the left one
- Our back is straight but not stiff, like a wonderful tree
- Our right hand is in our left hand and our thumbs are touching softly
- Our Eyes are looking forward and our chin is a little bit down to avoid proudness.
So don’t make something special in your Meditation Posture, if like to do more sports, you may try Yoga, but just in a Meditation sit relaxed and find a position that does remember you always that you are meditating now. If you can not sit like that, you also can sit straight on a chair.
The breathing is normal. Don’t try to push it in a direction, faster or slower, just let it come naturally and watch it. There are many technics you can learn for a great breathing, but for the beginning its the best you just keep your breath as it is naturally, it will improve by itself just while you concentrate on the other 3 Points, your Mind calms down and so your Breath.
In a successful Meditation it is always about the combination of Body, Speech and Mind. So while you sit now relaxed, your Thoughts are concentrated on the best Qualities of a Teacher and your Breath is coming naturally, you can add the Speech to this Practice.
There are many so called Mantras and I could just confuse you now by telling you many of them, also you may remember some Tips from autogen Training, where you tell yourself that you are relaxed and beautiful and all that. I advice to use the oldest Tibetan Mantra “Om mani peme Hung”. Also called the Mantra of Compassion. It is very powerful when you wish all the best to all beings and that as most as possible benefit from your practice. Just dont come proud that you may be better than others because you do that, remember there are already Generations of other Meditation Master who wished that also you can gain that goal of Enlightenment.
Keep in that State for some Minutes every Day. The best is to keep it short in the beginning (3 Minutes) but every Day. Its better to make every day a short meditation than every week a long one. When you finish your Meditation with that all the good that happened in that Moment increase to all beings and also helps them to find the highest Goal, to understand the realisation of the own Mind.
I know that is just a short Introduction, but I will continue writing on this post the next Days.
Post length: ~ 1192 words